Friday, February 09, 2007

Three Years Without Sugar & Wheat

Celebrate! Celebrate! Listen to the music... whoo hooo!

Yes! The music is being played loud this morning as I celebrate three years on my NAFP (non-addictive food plan), which consists of not eating sugar, wheat or aspartame, and avoiding most processed foods. (ie: corn chips are not "okay.")

This morning I was thinking back to that first week, I had a huge headache on the first day and was super tired, but, it was no wonder. The night before I ate pizza, fettuccine alfredo, a candy bar and, this I so remember, I drank a half a can of sugared soda. To that point, I hadn't even drank sugared soda at all, but I figured, "what the heck." I didn't even like it--I didn't even finish it! But it was sugar, so there you go.

The thought of eating all that stuff now makes me feel more than a little ill.

As I've been mentioning my milestone to friends, most of them say congratulations and then frown slightly and look concerned as they congratulate me on my self-discipline. If it was all about self-discipline, trust me, I'd be concerned if I could keep this up, too.

The blessing about this whole thing, though, is that it has nothing to do with self-discipline. I'm happy to bypass wheat- and sugar-foods because, if they are completely out of my system, the beauty is that I don't crave them. Although in The Road Less Traveled with Food we say that everyone is following their own program and certain things work for certain people, the one thing we all have in common is that very thing: if it's not in the body, we don't crave it. Or, better put, if we stay clean, we stay happy, joyous and free!

How cool is that? Way cool!

So today I CELEBRATE, with tremendous gratitude, my NAFP and all those who've supported me along the way, especially SBL Kathy, SBF Marji and SBS Teresa! Plus, I honor myself and the God-within, around and throughout who led me to this wonderful life.

Yay for us!

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 7:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

YAY, DONNA! Dancing is definitely in order! :)

Uh huh, oh yeah, uh huh, oh yeah!
(As David, my six year old, would say--as he shows me his moves. :))

Today is a most triumphant day--as it was three years ago, Donna!

I love how you describe how it was for you and is now--because most people say--when they hear about my NAFP-- that they could never live without their sugar, wheat,flour and refined foods, etc.
But that is only because they don't know how good it feels to not have that stuff in our bodies.

And me too--on the whole self-discipline thing. That is why diets never worked for me--because they always expected me to eat my triggers moderately. Oh yeah--sure. I'll just have a few m&ms and put the bag away....I don't think so! GIVE ME THOSE M&MS! NOW! :)

I was never a good white-knuckler. When my triggers were in my system--and I wanted more--there was no stopping me. I had to get them out and keep them out, for at least 28 days, in order for me to begin my non-overeating kind of life.

I'm so grateful to not have that kind of experience going on in my body, mind, emotions and day, today. Food is now food and I love and enjoy it--but it's just food--and my life is about so much more. Thank You, God!

And today--I celebrate you, Donna, and Marjorie, for joining me on this road less traveled with food. I love living more happy, joyous and free with you guys! :) You have added so much to my journey and I am forever grateful.

With BIG LOVE & APPRECIATION,
Kathy

www.kathybowesonline.com

 
At 12:33 PM, Blogger Marjorie said...

"Celebrate good times com'on! Let's Celebrate. There's a party going on right here. A celebration to last throughout the year. So bring your good times and your laughter too. We're going to celebrate and party with you!"
I'm celebrating with you today,SBF--three years of joy and 19 days of the challenge.
Wahoo!

 
At 2:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations!A person can do anything if she puts her mind to it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home