Friday, January 26, 2007

Day 5: Is My Stomach Shrinking?

It's Friday, and I'm feeling fine!

In 11th grade, in Mr. Swanson's health class, I remember being told that our stomachs don't literally "shrink" when we "diet." But I do think there is something like that going on in there because, after nearly a week of eating 1,500 calories a day, it doesn't take as much food for me to feel full--and feel full longer.

Since feeling hungry was one of my biggest fears, you can imagine my joy at having this feeling--it's one of my biggest gifts! (I better start thinking now about how I'm going to describe the gift of weighing 10, 20, 30+ pounds less, right?)

A couple of lifesavers for me this week, food-wise:

  • Chicken soup. My mom's recipe (chicken, carrots, celery, parsley, water, salt) couldn't be easier. Since I no longer include a big pile of kluski (noodles) at the bottom of the bowl, it's a low calorie, satisfying meal!
  • Black-eyed peas. Not typically a legume lover, those three little words have made me a convert. SBF Marji tracked down a wonderful recipe that includes some tomatoes, jalepeno heat and a bit of smoked ham for flavoring--yum!
  • Microwave popcorn. I'll admit it--I like my popcorn. A friend turned me on to a cool device that makes regular, kernel popcorn in the microwave with no added fat. A couple of pumps of a butter-flavored spray and salt, and I'm happy!
  • My NAFP. I haven't discussed my non-addictive food plan much, but basically it entails not eating sugar, wheat or aspartame and avoiding processed foods (like corn chips). On Feb. 9 I'll be celebrating 3 years "clean," and I feel so good! Being on my NAFP this week, and keeping it simple, has really helped in this challenge.
More lifesavers, spirit-wise:
  • SBF Marji, who is quite the inspiration when it comes to calorie-counting. (Among a myriad of other things.) What a great supportive friend I have!
  • SBS Teresa, who is always game to chat with me and offer her insights on weight loss. She is a fountain of knowledge and support in this challenge! (Among a plethora of other things!)
  • Step class. With the music blasting and all my attention on the instructor, I can't think about any perceived "problems" in life. It's meditation in movement, and I love it!
Okay, bring on the weekend -- let's hope things remain as cheerful in the days to come.

2 Comments:

At 5:25 PM, Blogger Marjorie said...

Awwww shucks!
I'm glad I've been an inspiration to you because I have to tell you that doing this with you has been a great source of inspiration to do it right!

 
At 10:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Absolutely!

Maybe our stomachs don't shrink, literally, but we do get used to eating smaller portions and when we overdo it--it does not feel good. So, we get to a place where we are less and less willing to eat more than our body needs. It's much more fun to feel light and free!

Yipee! One life long fear already down and it's only day 5! :) Amazing!

Life experience sure helps us dissolve "False" "Evidence" " Appearing" "Real", huh?

And thanks for sharing your lifesavers.

Keep on keeping on!

With Love,
Kathy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home