Sunday, January 14, 2007

Sooner Than We Thought...and Some Resistance

Originally set for more than a month out from now, the date of the 90 Day Challenge has been moved up significantly--to Jan. 22. I talked to my SBS (Super Best Sister) Teresa about it, and we agreed it was for the best. "Otherwise it could be a month of 'last suppers,'" she said. So true.

Yesterday Marji and I did some thinking about why we want to do the Challenge. Frankly, I couldn't come up with many ideas of my own, so I stole some of Marji's. ;) Since those reasons will help determine my level of commitment, I think this is an important step, though! I'm going to give that and menu planning more attention in the next few days.

The resistance that showed up this morning...I still debating (read: fearful) over the 1,500 calorie limit. I chatted a good while with Marji about it, though, and it was revealed that my "little girl" (hey, don't blame me, blame my therapist) was frightened of being hungry. Food has been a comfort for me for years and years--and the reason I got here today.

But three realizations came out of the chat. First, completing this challenge could mean a whole new life for my "little girl," where she'll be able to do fun things (like run faster) that she hasn't been able to do before. Second, there really is no reason she has to be concerned about "adult" matters of metabolism and food tracking--leave that to me, I can handle it. Lastly, and this was a brilliant stroke on my SBF's part, "Little Donna" has been invited to come play in this challenge by "Little Marji." So she doesn't have to be alone! Just knowing that my "little girl" has a SBP (Super Best Playmate) lightened my heart immediately. The resistance is gone and Donna (all of her) is back on board and ready to rock and roll!

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 2:55 PM, Blogger Marjorie said...

Hey Little Donna!
We can do this and have fun too!
I've been "dreaming" of being thin and shopping at stores other than LB, being able to run like the wind, and being able to do yoga poses that twist without my stomach getting in the way.
Little Marji :)

 
At 9:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

1/22/2007 is a perfect Day 1 to your 90 Day Challenge! :)

As you know, we've played around with our limited understanding of numerology in class--and have discovered that 222 symbolizes a new beginning and apparently is a sign that our ideas are growing into reality and that we are on the right path, doing the right thing and going in the right direction! I'll say! :)

Don't you just love how Divine Timing is always at work? Thank You, God!

And yes, let's bypass a month of last suppers. :)

What good insight you and Marjorie had around "little Donna."

Even though, I have found that taking care of my biochemistry--through eating whole, God and nature-created foods--was the major key in my moving beyond my overeating and excess weight carrying life--listening to and taking care of "little Kathryn" has been essential in my process of creating a more happy, joyous and free life for myself.

I truly believe, especially for those of us who struggle with overeating, that our inner little girl or boy has a lot to do with our relationship with food.

Most of us were not given healthy, productive ways to deal with life and eating certain foods and amounts that our body, mind and spirit did not really need-- has been one way we've dealt with all sorts of things from our fears to our celebrations.

Please, take this time, Donna, to listen to your inner sweet heart and be there for her.

She may freak out a bit--and rightly so. Life can be scary at times--but luckily our adult self knows we have a Higher Power that is always with us. And we have loved ones like SBFs and SBSs who can be there for us in real ways.

Food--an object-- designed to nourish our body, mind and spirit--cannot do this.

The truth is that our trigger foods and excess amounts of food--have brought us many things that have not increased our sense of comfort in life. And now we can find more real and lasting ways to comfort ourselves--without using food.

So, I encourage you to really be there with little Donna during this process. As needed, imagine your healthy, adult self taking her upon your lap, wrapping your loving arms around her and assuring her that you and she will figure out how to do this life thing without using excess food.

You will both be amazed at your ability to do this and you both will get to feel so good about yourselves too.

Remember the boogeyman...how real it seemed to us as children...and how today it's such a silly idea because our life experiences have convinced us that there is no such thing.

That is how any fears you or your inner child are having will dissolve as well.

You will have more than enough food to keep your body going each day and you will find new ways to comfort both of you as needed.

And I think your realizations are right on!

Completing this challenge will absolutely mean a whole new life experience for little Donna--including being able to do all sorts of fun things she has always wanted to do--and with confidence and joy!

And it is a good idea to reasure her that your adult self will take care of those kinds of things so that she has more time to play.

And what fun that little Marji and little Donna can do this together! In fact a little time to "rock and roll" may be in order! :)

Love you!
Kathy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home